LOGO

HOMEABOUTDAILY READS

Feb 9, 2014

Altitude Summit: A Reflection



This post has taken me a lot longer than I thought it would, and the blame for that is my fear of saying something that will offend someone...somewhere. Like any experience there were a lot of wonderful moments and things that I would have changed. I've asked myself a number of times 'did I expect too much?' I honestly didn't know what would be coming my way but my expectations were high. I tried to join the bandwagon by instagraming my weekly sponsor gifts, reading the Alt Blog and other blogs of people I expected to see there, and by commenting on pictures/facebook etc. trying to make conversation. I expected to make a ton of new friends at Alt, to be surrounded by funny extroverts, to have cheeks sore from smiling, informative classes, and answers to the millions of questions running around in my head.

I walked away with lots of fun pictures, a few new friends, lots of goodies and some notes. Brandon continued to ask me throughout the trip if I was having fun, and at times I was having the time of my life, while other times I felt like I was a Freshman in college trying to get into an elite sorority. I joked with Brandon after the first day that I hadn't known what to expect...but that what was happening definitely wasn't it. So many bloggers came with one another; making it difficult to strike up a conversation, some seemed so genuinely nice while others only had time for sponsors and schmoozing. I had a few run ins with bloggers that I follow and love, one experience left me wanting to blog my heart out, while the other solidified my thoughts that she was just in it for all of the followers. I'll honestly say that if it weren't for me meeting Marissa from Practical Punch at the Green Party, I would have probably skipped most of the second day.


After coming home friends and family wanted to know if my blogging adventure was worth it and I have to honestly say I'm still on the fence. If you have the extra funds to go, do it! If you have to reach deep into your savings to fund it...I would think twice. Alt Summit also has three other events Alt NYC, Alt SF, and Alt Everyone. I would check out one of those out if you're interesting in taking the plunge! There were so many things at Alt SLC that were wonderful, but throughout the event I couldn't help but take note of how many things I would have changed, and what changes would have made me more comfortable or enjoy it more.

Some things that I did love: 
  • The attention to detail, each room and event was carefully put together and you could tell that some careful consideration was taken when thinking of colors, props, and lighting, and the hotel was absolutely INSANE. (imagine the Titanic)
  • The business cards 
  • Meeting some really down to earth women who share my common interests
  • The lounges
  • Photographers taking pictures of every detail! (Took some pressure off, so I could focus on the millions of other things going on) 
Things I would have changed or added:
  • More focus on building relationships with bloggers in your state. I think that meeting people from New York is awesome, but I can't call them up and have coffee. Having a dinner or time blocked for meeting people from your state would have made a huge difference for me. 
  • More informative classes...I took the "A" classes which are for beginner bloggers, which I am, and almost all of the information was common sense. I didn't want to take any advance classes for fear that it would go over my head, but now I regret it. 
  • More info sooner, maybe I didn't start reading the blog early enough but I would have loved some emails about the event right when I registered. I was so pumped but then didn't get emails so I started getting nervous 
  • A little less going on at the same time..there was so much going on that you miss so many things if you aren't running around. I now know that if I attend next year the classes are less important, and the lounges/outside venues are where it is at. 
Overall, Alt SLC was an experience, and that was what I wanted. I learned some things about myself and about this blogging world. I've shared a few photos in this post and they were all taken by the photographers at Alt. More pictures are available to view at their Flickr page. (I was a naughty blogger and didn't take any pictures with my DSLR even though it was in my bag...oops! To see my personal pictures you can check out my Instagram!)
 







No comments:

Post a Comment